BY CAFE EAGLEFARB
Welcome to the most wonderful week in the world of electronic dance music. The place to be is Miami, where the pools glisten like glow sticks. The Winter Music Conference is highlighted by Ultra, one of the biggest music festivals in the world.
Held at Bayfront Park in downtown Miami, Ultra is a three-day marathon of house, techno, trance, progressive, dubstep and ‘trouse,’ featuring the most famous DJs and premieres of the most massive tracks. There will be parties before and after the shows at some of Miami Beach’s sexiest clubs – Mansion, Fontainebleu and Liv, to name a few. DJs will spin until sunrise, as fans beg for one more song.
The 2012 installation sold out in record fashion, and for good reason. Ultra is a sensation for your senses. The people are as beautiful as the music.
You will be blinded by the lights. You will be encased in clouds of smoke. Your ears will be ringing like no tomorrow.
Feel the energy. Feel the Heineken draft on your upper lip. Feel the sweat drip down your inner thigh.
Dance like you never have before. Your cell phone won’t work, but you won’t need it. Turn off your brain and turn on your heart.
This is Ultra 2012.
Below are the must-see acts of 2012, encompassing a variety of styles and tastes from mainstream to bizarre. There are countless names I have regretfully left off this list. Make sure to download all of these tracks.
Friday, March 23
- Tiesto – This legend puts on 250 shows per year. His megawatt production matches his infectious smile on stage. Key Tracks: “Zero 76”, “Maximal Crazy.”
- Afrojack – He finds time to produce his classic Dirty Dutch style while dating Paris Hilton. He will be chugging Grey Goose. One memorable quote from Ultra 2011 on the microphone: “I just jizzed my pants…but this is Ultra, so who gives a f*ck?” Key Tracks: “Can’t Stop me Now,” “Lunar” (ft. David Guetta), “No Beef” (ft. Steve Aoki).
- Nicky Romero – This youngin isn’t even legal to drink in the U.S, but he is still crushing it. His remix of Green Velvet’s “Flash” was the anthem of Ultra 2011. Key Tracks: “Toulouse”, “Generation 303,” “Wild Ones.”
- Dada Life – These guys are crazy. They like champagne and bananas. You can’t not have fun at their shows. Key Tracks: “Kick Out the epic Motherf..,” “Happy Violence.”
- Dirty South – The soft-spoken Aussie has some of the smoothest tracks in the game. His remix of P. Diddy’s “Coming Home” was huge last year. Oh, and you might have heard his collaboration with Axwell on the Temper Trap’s “Sweet Disposition.” Key Tracks: “Walking Alone,” “Alive,” “Eyes Wide Open.”
- Tommy Trash – The trash makes the track. His remixes and original productions are ridiculous. Try and not raij to his tunes, I dare you. Key Tracks: “Cascade,” “The End.”
Saturday, March 24
- Avicii – 2011 was his year. I saw him four times. Wasn’t enough. Expect even bigger things in 2012. Key Tracks: “F*ck School Party Instead,” “Dancing in my Head,” “Fade into Darkness” (ft. Eric Turner).
- Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike – So underrated. Key Tracks: “Madagascar,” “Rej,” “Roll the Dice.“
- Deniz Koyu – I love this man. His style is totally unique and will make you jump. Think Dee Brown + Reebok Pumps. Key Tracks: “Hydra,” “Hertz,” “Tung.”
- Flux Pavilion – If you are looking to get weird and womp with it; go see these guys, you will be in for a treat. Key Tracks: “I Can’t Stop,” “Bass Cannon.”
Sunday, March 25
- Kaskade – The biggest American DJ in the world has been on fire lately. Key Tracks: “Eyes,” “Turn it Down,” “Invisible.”
- Steve Aoki – One of the best performers I’ve ever seen. He will be jumping onto river rafts, throwing birthday cakes at you and spitting out champagne onto the crowd. And you will love it. Key Tracks: “Ladi Dadi” (ft. Winter Gordon), “Tornado” (ft. Tiesto).
- Sander Van Doorn – I ended Ultra 2011 with S.V.D and he did not disappoint. Listening to his music feels like sitting on a cloud. Key Tracks: “Chasin,” “Eagles.”
- Knife Party – These guys are nuts! Tread carefully- certainly not for David Guetta fans. Key Tracks: “Internet Friends,” “Antidote.”